Article 004: Origins of Rugby League in Manly

While Rugby Union had been played in the Manly district since the 1870s, competitive Rugby League did not commence in the Manly Warringah District until the dark days of the Great Depression in 1932. The Manly and Warringah Junior Rugby Football League was founded at a meeting in Harry Bones barber shop in Pittwater Road on 11 February 1932. Bones was elected President, Stan De Meur Secretary, Tom Ryan Treasurer and Jack Munro Assistant Secretary. The original A Grade clubs were Brookvale, Manly Juniors, Harbord, Narrabeen, North Curl Curl and DeeWhy. North Curl Curl were first to win the A Grade title beating Brookvale in the 1932 final. The formation of the Junior League gave Manly the right to field a team in the President's Cup.



Harry Bones barber shop and the 1934 Presidents Cup side
[Original photos provided by Harry Bones' grandson Neil Boness.]


Manly's first President's Cup match in 1932 was against North Sydney in a curtain raiser to the First Test against the British Lions at the Sydney Cricket Ground before a Test record crowd of 70,204. Manly, a man down through injury, held their North side rivals to 6-8 at half time but succumbed in the second half to lose 32-6.

In 1937 and 1944 Manly unsuccessfully applied to the NSW Rugby Football League for permission to enter teams in the District grade competitions. But after the end of the Second World War pressure was mounting for the inclusion of Manly and Parramatta in the senior district competitions. It became evident by 1946 that a win in the President's Cup would be the catalyst to gain entry to the big league. A semi-final win over Eastern Suburbs in 1946 saw Manly through to the Final against Norths played as the curtain raiser to the first test against the British Lions at the Sydney Cricket Ground before a crowd of 64,527. The 12-8 Manly victory gave Manly the President's Cup and an unrefutable case for District status. [See: DOCUMENT 001]

With the support of North Sydney and Western Suburbs, the motion before the NSWRL on 4 November 1946 to admit Manly and Parramatta as district clubs in the 1947 competition was carried unaminously. A public meeting was held at the Luana Hall, Dee Why (site of the present RSL Club) on 20 November 1946 for the purpose of forming the Manly-Warringah District Rugby League Football Club [See: DOCUMENT 002]. The maroon and white colours and the sea eagle emblem were adopted and Brookvale Oval secured as Manly's home ground. Former South Sydney halfback Harold Johnson was appointed first grade coach and the scene was set for Manly's first ever District grade matches against Western Suburbs at Brookvale Oval on 12 April 1947 [See: DOCUMENT 003]

The first point scorer for the new district club in Third Grade on that historic day was none other than fullback Ron Beaumont who had played such an important role in the crucial President's Cup final win the previous season. Beaumont went on to play 10 first grade games in that inaugral year and was voted most improved player in the end of season awards.

Source: Smith 1991